NOW HIRING: Database & GIS Manager
What We’re Looking For:
WestWater Research is seeking qualified applicants for a Database and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Manager position to oversee maintenance and continued development of our internal water transactions database called Waterlitix and to provide GIS support to our team. The successful candidate will be responsible for coordinating staff research efforts to populate the database, planning and implementing database development and improvements, providing regular status reports to the company, providing GIS analytical support on client projects, creating maps and figures for client projects, and assisting staff with analytical tasks on client projects.
Description of the Database:
Waterlitix is a proprietary internal database of water right transactions that was developed and is maintained solely by WestWater. The database is the largest and most comprehensive database of water right transactions. The database has over 25,000 transactions and is continually being expanded with new transactions. Each transaction records includes detailed information on price, quantity, and other deal terms that is verified through interviews with trading parties and confirmed with regulatory filing documents.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Providing GIS Mapping & Analysis
The position will provide GIS mapping and analytical support for client projects. This support will include:
- Cartography and map production to support water right valuations and transaction advisory services
- Researching, interpreting, inventorying, and mapping of water rights
- Acquiring, editing, and manipulating spatial data and non-spatial data from a variety of sources
- Photo interpretation of agricultural lands to determine irrigated acres over time
- Communicating with internal personnel and external clients on GIS tasks and deliverables
- Geodatabase management and administration of ArcGIS accounts
- Coordinating Water Market Research Efforts
The position will be in charge of coordinating our water market research efforts across the Western US states. This will include the development of research schedules in cooperation with staff, compiling information from staff on research progress, and assisting with market research in some locations. The position will also develop quarterly progress reports that describe our research goals and status toward those goals.
- Providing Ongoing Database Maintenance
The position will be in charge of ensuring that the database continues to function and research analysts are able to input and upload information on water transactions. Responsibilities include:
- Developing and implementing procedures to solve database problems using best practices
- Providing technical database assistance to developers, vendors, and end-users;
- Providing analysis, resolution, and open communication surrounding issues that arise regarding the database, including problems with web services, applications software, desktop issues; and
- Providing database administration duties such as backup confirmation and monitoring available space on all database and web servers.
- Managing Database Improvements
The position will be responsible for managing and developing improvements to the database in coordination with our vendors and contractors. The position will be expected to identify technical improvements that will provide for a more efficient and effective database and user interface, and also to help implement improvements identified from staff. This may include performing quality assurance testing and facilitate user acceptance testing as needed prior to implementing changes into the database.
- Managing Data Sales Contracts & Developing Commercial Applications
The position will be in charge of managing client contracts that involve a sale of select and specific records from the database. WestWater has established a virtual machine environment through AWS that allows access to specific data for clients. The position will be in charge of managing the client relationship and ensuring that the virtual machine is correctly populated with data and is accessible by the client. In addition, the position will be asked to identify and develop ideas for commercial applications of the Waterlitix database.
- Research Assistance on Client Projects
The position will be asked to provide research assistance on client projects. Research assistance will include data compilation and analysis using standard software such as MS Excel with direction from project managers.
About WestWater Research LLC
WestWater Research is an economic consulting firm that specializes in water resource valuation, water market analysis, water resource economics, and financial and investment services. With a national practice, WestWater assists clients that are buying and selling water rights and other water assets through comprehensive financial and economic analysis of water markets on a regional and local level. Since its inception in 2001, WestWater Research has received national recognition for advising on complex water market and trading issues across every Western State. Our team has over fifty years of focused experience in the water right sector.
- Bachelor’s degree in GIS, Geography, Natural Resources, Computer Science, or related field
- One year of work experience as a GIS Manager/Analyst or Database Manager
- Strong proficiency with ESRI ArcGIS suite of products and applications and open-source GIS (ArcPro, ArcMap, ArcGIS Online, QGIS)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software products, including MS Excel and spreadsheet analyses.
- Knowledge of Windows Servers, Office 365, and PowerBi platforms
- Knowledge of database environments including Microsoft Azure SQL
- Experience in database design and maintenance, and familiarity with best practices
- Ability to effectively communicate, with strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to organize tasks across multiple offices.
- At least three years of full-time experience working on IT, database administration, or related field.
- Highly motivated with the ability to work independently and in a team environment to drive results; looking for a self-starter and ability to work with changing priorities and time pressures.
- Detail oriented with excellent analytical, quantitative, and investigative skills
- Interest in the water resources, agriculture, or natural resources sectors with an economic, financial, and business focus.
Location: Position could be located in one of our existing office locations: Phoenix, AZ; Boise, ID; Sacramento, CA; or Fort Collins, CO.
The Database Manager position is a salaried position within WestWater and offers a comprehensive compensation package including health benefits, 401k retirement plan, and an opportunity for annual bonus and company profit sharing. Salaries will be competitively determined based on experience and skill set.
To be considered, please send the following:
- Cover letter with a statement of interest in a joining WestWater
- Resume which addresses the minimum and preferred qualifications
Send the application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org