March 14, 2022
NOW HIRING: Research Associate, Water Resource Economics and Finance
WestWater Research is seeking qualified applicants for a Research Associate position in the field of water resource economics and finance. The successful candidate will be responsible for client related project tasks and engagements in a team focus environment. Typical client engagements include financial and economic analysis for water resource development and investment projects, conducting water asset valuation analyses, and conducting regional water market research as well as supporting and developing water acquisition strategies, transaction origination, underwriting, and asset due diligence management during a sale or acquisition process. Specific duties will be defined based on a candidates experience and interest.
Qualified applicants will support and manage client engagements related to WestWater’s two primary areas of consulting services: 1) Water Rights and Asset Valuation; and 2) Transaction Advisory Services. Specific duties will vary depending on the client engagement and applicants experience and skill set. Common types of duties include:
- Development of financial models in Excel and other statistical packages for estimating the market value of water rights and related water assets.
- Conducting water market research and becoming a subject matter expert for 1 – 3 water trading regions.
- Developing periodic market reports on water market regions including insight on market dynamics, commonly traded assets, regulatory process, price determinants and trends.
- Developing and managing professional relationship with market participants.
- Participating on transaction teams to develop water acquisition strategies including conducting inventories of water assets to be considered, developing ranking systems and profiles, acquisition budgets and recommended transaction structures.
- Assisting deal teams with implementation of water acquisition strategies through due diligence and underwriting processes.
- Leading tasks and projects related to water asset valuations, financial analysis, economic reports, and other client deliverables completed through a collaborative process involving both associates and senior staff.
- Managing team member to facilitate data collection, analysis, and report writing.
- Scoping and scheduling the project as well as working within a team environment to manage the development of client work products
- Graduate degree in one of the following fields:
– Agricultural, Resource, or Applied Economics,
– Finance or
– Master of Business Administration
– Engineering and Natural Resource fields will be considered on a case-by-case basis
- Proficiency in Microsoft software products, including MS Excel and spreadsheet analyses.
- Ability to effectively communicate, with strong written and oral communication skills are essential for advancement.
- Experience and knowledge of water rights administration and basic regulatory frameworks.
- Experience and knowledge of financial and economic analysis.
- Prior consulting experience.
- Demonstrated experience in water rights and/or water resource management in the western United States.
- Highly motivated with the ability to work independently and in a team environment to drive results; looking for a self-starter and ability to work with changing priorities and time pressures.
- Detail oriented with excellent analytical, quantitative, and investigative skills
- Ability to present complex data in a simplified and meaningful way.
- Ability to apply knowledge and creativity to resolve standard and complex issues.
- Proficiency in statistical, econometric and advanced financial modeling including excel and other statistical software analysis.
- Interest in the water resources, agriculture, or natural resources sectors with an economic, financial, and business focus.
Location: WestWater is currently seeking qualified applicants for its Sacramento, CA, Phoenix, AZ and Fort Collins, CO offices.
The Associate position is a salaried position within WestWater and offers a comprehensive compensation package including health benefits, 401k retirement plan, and an opportunity for annual bonus and company profit sharing. Salaries will be competitively determined based on experience and skill set.
Growth and Advancement
The position provides an opportunity for growth and advancement within the company to advance to a Senior Associate position through mentorship and direct client experience. The position is designed to provide candidates with opportunities to increase project management responsibilities to advance to a senior level position.
To be considered, please send the following:
- Cover letter with a statement of interest in water markets and joining WestWater
- Resume which addresses the minimum and preferred qualifications
- Writing sample, that indicates an ability to communicate effectively
Send application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
About WestWater Research LLC
WestWater Research is an economic consulting firm that specializes in water resource valuation, water market analysis, water resource economics, and financial and investment services. With a national practice, WestWater assists clients that are buying and selling water rights and other water assets through comprehensive financial and economic analysis of water markets on a regional and local level. Since its inception in 2001, WestWater Research has received national recognition for advising on complex water market and trading issues across every Western State. Our team has over fifty years of focused experience in the water right sector.